Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Arrival at Tenwek

Just arrived at Tenwek Hospital a couple of hours ago! I managed to get a grand total of two hours of sleep during my 22 hour plane saga, and was picked up by a driver from the guest house I was staying at in Nairobi from the airport. He said he knew I was his person to pick up immediately because I was smiling, and his "missionaries are always smiling." That was super cool to hear; just to know that I was still appearing to be happy and awake after all of that traveling, and to remember that I am a missionary here (and everywhere). Driving in Kenya is a bit crazy; there aren't any stop lights and people are constantly battling to squeeze several lanes into a narrow street or merge in and out of the roads, but no one uses their horn or seems to be rude about it. Traffic in Nairobi is not bad at night, but horrific in the morning. Also, nearly everyone speaks English in the city and all of the ad's, menus, etc. are in English. I know it's much less common in rural areas (they speak their tribal languages and sometimes Swahili around Tenwek), but it made getting around Nairobi really easy. Anyways, I slept for about four hours last night at the guest house and am only now seriously feeling exhausted from all of my traveling. But Carol, the surgeon I'm working with, picked me up from the guest house and took me out to breakfast at a local cafe. We then went to the baby elephant orphanage to see almost twenty elephants between the ages of four months and three years be fed and talked about by the reserve managers. It was so so awesome! The elephants were almost always within touching distance, and they were really playful, intelligent, and had distinct personalities. Definitely my favorite animal. The reserve managers have to spend the nights with them in order to prevent stress from the lack of parents, which have usually been killed by poachers and the babies are found wandering alone. On the reserve, I also spotted several baboon climbing in the trees, warthogs, and gazelles.

Next, we went to the giraffe preserve, where there was a sixteen foot tall mother and her two children at the gate, as well as numerous scattered around the preserve. And I got to kiss two of the giraffes! I know, so so exciting! People put a food pellet on their lips and then the giraffes come up and snatch it away with their tongue. The mother had a super long tongue, so that was kinda disgusting, but still really cool!

After that, we drove the 3.5 hours to Tenwek Hospital. On the way, we passed by Rift Valley, which is this huge sunken expanse of land that's absolutely gorgeous and inspired the Pride Rock scene of the Lion King...so obviously, I was incredibly excited to see it. We drove through so many diverse parts of Kenya; Nairobi has some incredibly rich neighborhoods, but also has one of the largest slums in the world. We drove past herds of cattle, baboons sitting on the side of the road, numerous small villages full of local shops and patched-together homes, and both plains and tree-covered hills. Tenwek is in the latter type of geography; it is so beautiful here. I arrived at the guest house with all of my stuff just in time for the communal dinner with twenty or so of the other hospital workers. There are three PA students from UK (I'm rooming with one of them) and our house mom is from Wilmore, which is awesome! So I'm getting ready to unpack and crash before I have to wake up early tomorrow to get a tour of the hospital and hopefully start some shadowing!

7 comments:

  1. KATIE! it's Leeza and Sarah! OH MY GOODNESS..it's real you're in another CONTINENT! oh it's so good to hear a little bit about what you have been seeing/doing already! THE ELEPHANTS! lauren is going to be so jealous but it sounds amazing, minus the tongue sharing with giraffes..but how cool is everything?! please update us as soon as you can! MISS YOUUUU! LOVE YOUU!

    (Sarah here) KATIE! I can't believe you saw the real life Pride Rock! That is incredible! We have to take a house trip there before we all die...it just has to happen. Keep sharing EVERYTHING! I love it! I love and miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. =) This all sounds so wonderful!! I'm so excited for you and the amazing opportunity you have to share Jesus in such a cool way and in SUCH a cool place... and just how much he's going to teach you while you're there. So. Much. GOODNESS.

    Don't you wish elephants just stayed miniature all the time? They'd be such cool pets. And please get a picture with a baboon.

    Can't wait to hear more about ya liiiiife!

    Love you and miss you SO much. Praying for you, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you, Katie, and I always will. We are praying that God uses and leads you in your time in Kenya and in the future. Your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Katie,
    Your trip sounds so amazing! What an absolute dream! Keep the blogs coming. It is a treat to read about your adventures. Love you, Aunt Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarabi and Leeza, the real Pride Rock is incredible!! We will definitely have to go to it sometime and sing the Circle of Life on the edge of the cliff. It's insane.

    Andrea, the baby elephants are the cutest things in the world and I wish I could always keep them miniature! So precious! And thanks for your prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie, Again checking your blog to hear the latest exciting news from Kenya. We are fine here and you are on our minds. You are covered by our prayers, and trusting
      that you are being blest and we know you are a blessing wherever you go. We love
      you alot and you mean so much to us. Love, Gram and Grampy

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete